Type TANK SLASH POCKET "422nd NIGHT FTR.SQ." The 422nd Night Fighter Squadron was established at Orlando Air Base, Florida in August 1943. After training on the U.S. mainland, the squadron was deployed in 1944 and trained with the British Night Fighter Squadron in anticipation of an invading German raid. It was the first squadron in the U.S. Air Force to be equipped with Northrop P-61 Black Widow night fighters in England. The unit has a long and proud history that continues to this day as the 422nd Test and Evaluation Squadron. The unit's emblem is a star with the unit number added to a black base design, as the unit was originally a night fighter squadron. One wonders who really had the sense to design a lovable bat with a ferocious pistol and knife, and one's endless imagination expands to the great predecessors. The title "Rambling Peaks" hand-painted on the back is the same as the title on the nose of the P61 Black Widow.